2018 Spring Training
Toolz for Tough Conversations with Mary Dumas
June 1, 2018, 9-5:00
Beaverton Dispute Resolution Center
12725 SW Millikan Way| Beaverton, OR
Registration is closed. You may still register at the door on the day of the event at 8:30.
Toolz for Tough Conversations is a program that works to help individuals and organizations work through difficult conversations of all topics and sizes.
Tools for Tough Conversations is a conflict de-escalation and civil discourse program that prepares general public participants to engage in difficult conversations with increased self-awareness of habitual responses to stress and improved self-regulation of conflict communication behaviors.
Body-based mindfulness strategies, constructive confrontation and empathy-in-action skills make Toolz especially powerful. These conflict skills and unique engagement frameworks are useful in all types of conversations dialogue, deliberation and decision-making in families, workplaces and communities.
Upon completion, participants will be able to:
- Explain multiple strategies to identify personal stress patters and intervene on habitual reactions.
- Identify conflict alternatives to shift awareness to critical issues.
- Apply an everyday diplomacy (or multi-track) framework for broad inclusion and engagement.
- Prepare purposeful questions to explore the context of differences and escalating conflict.
- Form assertive statements for times you must take a stand or share an unpopular view.
— From Dumas and Associates
Learn more about the program here.
Continuing Education Credits: This program has been approved for 6.5 CE credits with the National Association of Social Workers and HRCI. Approval is pending the Oregon State Bar.
Registration for the Beaverton event is closed. For other locations, please visit the host sites below.
Financial Aid is available. We want to make this program available to those who are interested. If you are interested in financial aid, please write us at OMA@ORMediation.org.
For public agencies and groups that need to be invoiced/pay with check, please email Jamie at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you set up.
All Training Dates and Locations
OMA is partnering with three community dispute resolution centers to help bring this training to Eugene, Medford, and Bend.
- Portland, OR / Beaverton Dispute Resolution Center: Friday, June 1st
- Eugene, OR: Tuesday, June 19th (Hosted by the Center for Dialogue and Resolution)
- Medford, OR: Thursday, June 21st (Hosted by Resolve Center for Dispute Resolution and Restorative Justice)
- Bend, OR: Saturday, June 23rd (Hosted by Community Solutions of Central Oregon)